Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Five Years

This coming February will mark my fifth year as a youth pastor. Two years of that was spent as a part-time youth pastor and three years in full-time youth ministry. Last night I spent some time reflecting on the last five years. Those years were filled with ups-and-downs. When I think about those first couple years, I can't help but think that I had no business doing what I was doing. At 21, I was way too young for that kind of responsibility. I wasn't ready for that sort of pressure. I cringe when I remember some of the lessons that I first prepared. I can't believe that I taught some of those things. God, please forgive me.

The last three years have been better and I feel like I'm actually somewhat qualified for the position, but still everyday can be tough. Kids and parents can wear you out. The #1 reason that folks drop out of youth ministry is burn-out and there have been times that I've been awfully close. However, I still enjoy being around students. I enjoy seeing God change lives. It often happens in a different way than I expected, but it happens. I love to see students understand God's love for them and to hunger for knowing God. It's exciting to see where some of those students are now.

I remember talking to Mike Clement, the pastor of the church that I grew up in, not that long ago. He told me, "There are no shortcuts to spiritual maturity, except for maybe suffering." I thought to myself, "Some shortcut." That statement continues to ring true in my life. Suffering draws my heart to Christ. It makes me long to know Him. The pressure that I've faced in youth ministry has done exactly this.

I hope that I've learned something in the last five years. I know that I have a long way to go and that I still don't know everything. (Wow! My parents would be shocked by that last statement.) Of course, God gives more grace. Father, please make me into the man that you want me to be.

2 Comments:

Blogger Correy said...

Congratulations Daniel:
A lot happens in five years. Who knows what the next 5 years will hold.

I love that advice on suffering. That is why the bible says that we would be "worthy to be called a martyre" I know there are a lot of us who hope we are not worthy enough...jokes

7:46 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Daniel,

Congrats on the five years in ministry. My husband and I used to be youth ministers, too. It can be very rewarding. At the same time, it can be rather challenging, especially in today's wordly climate that has so quickly enveloped and infiltrated the church.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home