Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Just One More Observation

I was looking at the passage in question one more time this morning when something hit me. (Maybe this has already been said, but I'm kind of dull at times.) Look at the question of the grumbling Jews in v. 41-42.

At this the Jews began to grumble about him because he said, "I am the bread that came down from heaven." They said, "Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, 'I came down from heaven'?"

Jesus asserts that he is bread from heaven. To the Jews this amounts to a claim to be God. They clearly understand the implication of His comment. So they respond by questioning his origin. "Isn't this Mary and Joseph's boy? We know His parents. How can He claim to be from heaven? How can He claim that God is His Father?"

These are the grumblings that Jesus responds to in v. 43-51.

5 Comments:

Blogger Correy said...

Ahh yes they boasted in the flesh yet Jesus had no concern for fleshly arguments for He was concerned only of Spiritual matters and knowing them to be Spiritually dead he responded as such.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Doug E. said...

Great point,

Doug

4:52 PM  
Blogger cs said...

Awesome blog, but I can't find this "debate" on John 6... :( I agree though, don't let it get to heated, I ran into that with my post on Election...

10:49 AM  
Blogger TheDen said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I really appreciate it.

In regards to the "Bread from Heaven" comment by Jesus, I would think that all of the Jews would think He was referring to Exodus 16. That as God poured manna from heaven to sustain the Jews on their journey from slavery in Egypt to the promised land, Jesus is the manna from heaven that will bring us out of sin and to salvation.

The Jews hearing this were so dumbfounded at what He was saying that they didn't know how to react; so they left in confusion wondering why this son of a carpenter is saying that He is the bread of life. If He wasn't God than what He was saying would be construed as extremely blasphemous.

I could go on and on about this. Just wanted to offer my perspective.

Thanks again.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Dennis,

Great observation. The connection with the manna is very interesting.

It's also interesting how John develops the theme of Jesus' deity throughout the gospel.

Good insights.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home