Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hermeneutics

During my junior year of college, something happened to me that has radically changed my life. While attending Frontier School of Bible in LaGrange, Wyoming, I met Rich Peterson, a pastor from Scottsbluff, Nebraska. Instantly I loved Rich. He was bold, outspoken, and passionate about God's Word. So when Rich asked me if I wanted to meet him weekly to learn about hermeneutics, I quickly responded yes. I had never heard anyone teach the Bible with such clarity and passion. I enjoyed his challenge to read and study the Bible. As I met with Rich over the next two years, I realized that a careful study of the Bible requires a lot of work and effort. This requires a lot of reading. In preparation for our meetings, I would have to read and read and read a text over and over again. Rich introduced me to several very helpful books that I strongly recommend anyone interested in the subject of hermeneutics. If you want to teach the Bible, these are must reads.

How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart. This was my favorite. If you read just one of these books, read this one.

Living by the Book
by Howard Hendricks. My father-in-law had Dr. Hendricks as a prof as Dallas. A couple years ago I met him at a Moody's Pastor's Conference. It was awesome.

The Modern Preacher and Ancient Text
by Sidney Greidanus. This book is excellent, but it's definitely not for the beginner.

He Gave Us Stories by Richard Pratt. Here's a great study on OT narratives.

Exegetical Fallacies
by D.A. Carson. Carson makes some excellent observations on the study of hermeneutics.

While hermeneutics is an important study for any believer, it is especially crucial for those who desire to teach the body of Christ. As James says, "Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly" (3:1). This verse should make us tremble in fear every time that we pick up the Bible. This is God's Word. I will have to answer to Him for how I handle it. I wil have to give an account. Let us pursue the truth with diligence. To God be the glory.

2 Comments:

Blogger Correy said...

Yes that verse in Timothy can make you tremble.

I love this verse in 1 Corinthians about understanding the scripture.

"But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised"

Yes I love your ending "let us persue the truth with diligence". I think this goes hand in hand with the Spirit of Truth for He is the one that will lead us there. He is found in His word and He is found in those who believe in Him.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Puritan Belief,

Thanks for your visit. Yes, that verse in 1 Corinthians is powerful. Without the grace of God, unbelievers will resist truth to the core.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home