Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Perseverance of the Saints

Andrew recently has started blogging on perseverance of the saints. Check his posts out. I've enjoyed hearing his thoughts. Here are some great resources on the warnings in Hebrews that you might want to compare.

William Lane Craig has a great philosophical essay on the subject. It comes from a Molinist perspective.

Scot McKnight, an Anabaptist, has done a great study on the warnings in Hebrews. It's one of the best Arminian works on the subject.

Thomas Schreiner and Ardel Caneday, the author of a couple great blogs, answer in this book from a Calvinist perspective.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nate said...

Daniel,

There is also a third option for the warning passages in Hebrews, and thats the loss of reward view rather than the hypothetical/lossofsalvation/meansofsalvation view.

You can find the loss of reward view in "The Bible Knowledge Commentary"

Here are some links to some other teachers who hold to the "Loss of Reward View." I HAVE NOT read all of these so I'm not sure how sound the arguments are but here you go.

Wilkin

Myers

Dr. John Niemelä pt 1 Heb 10

Dr. John Niemelä pt 2

I also have a very good series from a few years ago from BibSac I can email to you.

PEACE,

NATE

7:00 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Nate,

Thanks for the links. I have read Hodges' section on Hebrews in the Bible Knowledge Commentary. It's interesting, although at times I feel like he's stretching to get around the severity of the warnings. Awhile back I went to a "free grace" school in Wyoming so I'm pretty familiar with their view.

I also forgot to mention the test of geniuneness view. Wayne Grudem is the most outstanding proponent of that view. I also think that MacArthur teaches this view in His popular level commentary. In my opinion, this view fudges on the text as well. Personally I'm not sure where I'm at but I know that it's a lot closer to McKnight and Craig than anyone else.

Schreiner and Canaday's book is great for the summary of the views. Good read.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Nate,

By the way, I put my email addy on my profile, if you want to see me those BibSac's. Our senior pastor's from Dallas so he might have the articles if you give me the names.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

Daniel,

I get those to you tomorrow. I'm at work today and I have them at home.

PEACE,

NATE

10:15 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

That's awesome. Did you attend Biola or Talbot? My mentor Rich Peterson's son-in-law just finished his Master's in Philosophy at Talbot. He loved it.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home