Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Sports

As a youth pastor, I often have the privilege and responsibility to watch different sporting events of kids from our ministry. To tell you the truth, I was never really a jock. I wasn't even close to being good at sports, but I enjoy watching the games. I try to attend most of the games that I can. Of course, football is my favorite. I'm a true Cornhusker fan. (By the way, the '95 Huskers was the greatest college football team ever. Hands down!)

Well, last night I went to an out-of-town basketball for one of our freshman students. It was a fun game to watch. One Chadron player made seven 3-pointers. However, I was left with an uneasy feeling after the game. Sometimes, going to these games really bothers me. Parents can be so vicious. They harass the officials. They mock the other team. The whole show is often filled with so much pride and arrogance. Our society worships sports. It's unbelievable. This is just a freshman basketball game, and parents are at each other's throats. It's unlikely that any of these kids will play college ball, let alone the NBA. It's disgusting, and yet so sad. They're missing it. As I watched the game, this passage echoed through my mind.
For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

4 Comments:

Blogger TheDen said...

That is a great post!

Honestly Daniel, between you and Modern Day Magi, I really feel like we're in tune. I was just thinking about sports and Christianity and was going to post on it. I probably wouldn't have put it as succinctly as you did so I may just point people to your post.

The Super Bowl is in town right now here in Detroit and our televisions are nonstop coverage of the decadence and partying that's happening.

I really think that sports is fun and rooting for the home team is good as long as God is in the center of your life. But if sports is in the center of your life, it leads to a very one dimensional/empty lifestyle.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Gordon said...

Daniel you are right. I know many Christians, including some pastors, who have had their testimonies severely damaged because of their behavior at sporting events. We should definitely practice "moderation in all things".

11:22 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

It makes you want to get a microphone and start calling fouls on the people who are behaving badly. Name names!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I was going to say that I just heard of an article called "When Ball Becomes Baal" and that you should look at it. Then I remembered that I learned about the article from you!

Erik Thoennes, one of my elders, is currently writing a Theology of Sport (also the author of Godly Jealousy). I look forward to being able to read that as sports have been big in my life but I am currently considering some of the downsides.

-mike

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home