Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Resources on Youth Ministry

Here are a couple of great articles that a friend found and sent me on youth ministry.

"Seriousness in Children and Teens"

"When Ball Becomes Baal"

The title to that second article is terrific. Idolatry to sports is a serious problem within the church. I know kids that as soon as basketball or volleyball season hits they're gone. I won't see them until the end of the semester. It saddens me to see how much parents go along with this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Absolutely right about sports; they are a great source of idolatry.

God Bless

Matthew

1:37 PM  
Blogger Mike Perrigoue said...

Right on, Daniel. I love sports and constantly battle for balance in this area. It's so easy to let this become overlooked but it really is no different than anything else that takes time away from God.

Why do you think so many folks just sort of let sports slide in over God?

5:48 PM  
Blogger Gordon said...

And then these same parents wonder what they did wrong when the kids grow up and want nothing to do with God.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Gordon,

Exactly. Then they blame it on the church for not entertaining their kid. "If youth group was more fun, then my kid would want to go."

Mike,

That's a great question. My best guess is Romans 1. The human heart is an idol factory.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home