Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Prayer and God's Will

I did some more thinking about this difficult subject of prayer. One of the hardest things for me to get is why God does not answer our prayers. Or maybe I should put it this way--Why does it seem that God doesn't answer our prayers? This is a heart-wrenching issue that we've all experienced. I have several long-term prayer requests that God has yet to do anything about or so it seems.

Although I'm not completely sure that I know the answer to this question, I think that it lies in the direction of the subject of God's will. Sometimes God does not answer a request because it is contrary to His will. Throughout Scripture, we continue to hear that God wants us to pray according to His will. Look at Romans 1:9-10.
For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I mention you always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God's will I may now at last succeed in coming to you.
In this passage, Paul mentions to the Romans that it was his life-long prayer request to visit them. Notice that he prayed that it would be God's will or desire for him to do this. By this statement, Paul acknowledges that God has the ability to say "Yes" or "No" to his request. What does the answer to his request rest on? God's will.

Of course, God's will is a extremely difficult subject in itself, but let me make an observation about our usage of this phrase. When folks talk about God's will, they normally use the term in one of two different ways: His will of preference and His will of action. We talk like this everyday.

For instance, the other night I was hanging out with my friend Kupo. Now Kupo asked me a favor. Ideally I didn't want to do it. Doing this wasn't exactly something that I considered fun. This is what I mean by the term will of preference. I preferred not to act in this way.

However, I did do the favor for Kupo. Why? Because my will of action led me in this direction. I had a deeper motivation that required me to do the favor for Kupo. My friendship with Kupo caused me to act in that manner as opposed to my preferred course of action.

This is true with God as well. Ideally God desires a world without sin. He desires that everyone will be saved. He desires that folks tell the truth. He desires a world without sickness and pain. This is God's will of preference. (Luis Molina called this God's absolute intentions).

However, our world doesn't necessarily correspond to God's ideal or preferred will. That means that on a deeper level God must desire something else. This is what I mean by His will of action. (Luis Molina called this God's conditional intentions). God's will of action is His reason for determining the circumstances that actually occur in this world. This is why not everyone goes to heaven. This is why folks suffer. And this is why sin has entered the picture. Of course, this is not what God ideally desires, but for other reasons He has determined to take this course of action. In the long run, God must have sufficient reasons for allowing sin into this world although He doesn't prefer a world with sin. He must have a reason for allowing all kinds of sickness and suffering, etc.

God's will is a complicated issue. And I'm sure that I haven't even scratched the surface, but this is the direction that I'm headed with the subject.

How does affect prayer? Well, as I read the Bible, I can learn about God's ideal will and pray accordingly, but I must remember that it won't always work out because God may have something bigger at stake.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

God has multiple wills. You are on the road to becoming a Calvinist you know :) At the very minimum it means that proof texts cannot simply be thrown around with an exegetical argument when discussing God's will.

In any case, pretty good post regarding prayer. Prayer seems to be a very popular topic in the churches these days. This, I am sure, is a good thing.

Another reason that God may not answer prayers is that he is constantly perfecting us by allowing us to go through various trials. One example is Paul's thorn in the flesh. It was used to perfect him and ultimately that he would display God's glory all the more.

A third reason is the sin present in our own lives.


However, one great thing to remember is that God has in deed answered our greatest need. We were hopelessly lost and destined for Hell and yet God has given us new life and prepared for us an eternal crown of glory. When we view prayer through this paradigm we come to different conclusions.


Good post.
In Christ alone,
mike

5:43 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Mike,

Thanks for the comment. I'm still pretty far from being a Calvinist. This stuff of God's will comes from Luis Molina.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Matthew Celestine said...

Good thoughts.

I do not think you are becoming a Calvinist.

God Bless

Matthew

10:52 AM  
Blogger Don't I Know You? said...

The underlying assumption in this post seems to be "God didn't give me what I asked for, therefore my prayer was not answered."

Might it be that God answers all prayer and that sometimes we don't like the answer? And that's when we think the prayer wasn't answered?

Pondering the question has led me to reconsider the nature of my prayers.

For a long time, instead of asking for something specific, I instead tried to consider my request from God' perspectivce.

Nowadays I do that and occaisionally say, hey, i'd really like this, help me out here, help me with the faith you would like me to have as regards the outcome.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Wilsford,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I see where you're coming from.

Maybe I should clarify. When I use the term "unanswered prayer," I mean prayer requests that God doesn't give a thumbs-up to.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'd suggest that God actually does not answer some prayers. In fact, I'd say he doesn't hear/listen to some prayers and accordingly does not answer (at times he even scoffs).

In any case, still a good post even though I was just kidding about the whole Calvinism thing.

-mike

5:47 PM  
Blogger TheDen said...

Daniel,

I like what you're writing and it does make sense to me. I see God's will of preference vs. God's will of action in my life all the time.

If we all chose to do His will of preference, then this would be a perfect world. However, because of free will, we choose not to do His will of preference but rather our own will which eventually spirals us into sin and despair.

Why did God do this to us? If He loves us so much, then why not just have us do His perfect will and spend eternity with Him in a perfect world? Well, He wants us to choose His will because in order for us to truly love Him, we have to freely do it.

This is a really deep subject...of course God knew that Adam would eat the forbidden fruit before He created Adam (although Adam still chose of his own accord to sin)--which is probably what Molina is talking about by will of action. It still wasn't His perfect will for Adam to eat the forbidden fruit. Kinda confusing...it does make sense in my head.

Regarding prayer and ideal will, the two best examples off the top of my head of how to pray in that manner are in Luke 22:42 (Gethsamene)..."Not my will but yours be done." and in Luke 1: 38 (Annunciation)..."May it be done to me according to your word."

If we start our prayers with either of those two simple prayers, it is a good first step toward God's preferred will.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I believe that God does answer prayers. It is either:

1) Yes.

2) Yes, but not now.

3) Yes, but not the way you think it will happen.

4) No.

I think Mike is correct in that God does not hear the prayer of the unrighteousness unless it is a prayer of repentence. And he doesn't hear us sometimes because of our sin. (Isaiah 59; Palm 66:18)

3:42 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Mike,

I had a question on Daniel's February 2, 2006 blog post about Eternal Security. Maybe you didn't see it?

3:49 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Oh sorry. Sometimes I lose track of the discussion I am in (especially since my schedule has become quite a bit busier the last few weeks). My apologies. I'll try to find it and respond.

If that ever happens again you can feel free to email me.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home