Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Paul's View of the Torah

Lately I've been really struggling over this. I have all sorts of info running through my head. I can see that Tom Wright makes some points, but also I know that Doug Moo also makes some good points. Check this out.

Paul writes in Ephesians 2:14-15, "For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace."

And then in Romans 3:31, Paul writes, "Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law."

Jesus further complicates the issue in Matthew 5:17, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Anyone else confused? Here's a good article that has helped me. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Correy said...

There is one disciple who saw exactly what was going on when it comes to the law and Jesus's place and purpose with the law.

"Philip findeth Nathanael and saith unto him, We have found him of whom Moses in the law and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph" John 1:45

Notice something ...

The law of Moses was never the schoolmaster that leeds us to Christ but Christ in the law, it is Him that leads us to himself.

You can preach the law till the cows come home and yes we do say that the Law is good. Without the Spirit testifying to Jesus in the Law it is all in vain just look at the Jews for proof.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

That's interesting.

I tend to think that the "schoolmaster" comment in Galatians 3 refers to the Law's role in redemptive-history as oppose to the Law as a witnessing tool.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home