Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Tom Wright on the Holy Spirit and exegesis

Since I've been interested in the NPP lately, I decided to read another Tom Wright book on Paul. This one is Paul in Fresh Perspective. I have to admit that I really enjoy reading Wright. He's a very clever writer (he kinda reminds me of C.S Lewis) and an extremely talented scholar. Here's another quote that made me think.
"I do believe in the mysterious, unpredictable and usually hidden work of the Holy Spirit. It would be odd to omit this from a discussion of Paul of all people; rather as though one were to discuss Beethoven's sonatas while dismissing from one's mind the possibility that there might actually be such a thing as a piano. Even if one cannot play the piano oneself, one should normally reckon that someone who could do so would have a head start, not a handicap, in discussing the music."

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I think I am missing something. Is NT saying that those with the HS (Christians) better at interpreting Scripture than non-Christians? That is all I could make out from the Piano illustration.

In Christ alone,
mike

12:58 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

He's saying that it follows logically those who have experienced the Holy Spirit (i.e. Christians) have a head-start in the study of Scripture as opposed to those who deny that such an experience is valid.

It's just like discussing Beethoven's music. Those who have experienced a piano have a better idea what Beethoven was doing.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Magnum,

You're absolutely right about Wright. We should call the movement New Perspectives as opposed to the New Perspective. The leading thinkers of the NPP don't necessarily agree on everything. Wright is different than Dunn and Sanders. And Dunn is different than Wright and Sanders. It's an interesting discussion.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Okay then.

I agree with Wright ... clearly. Those who have a veil over their eyes while reading Moses are going to have a more difficult time understanding!

In Christ alone,
mike

4:44 PM  
Blogger Correy said...

Scripture goes a lot further then just a handicap to those trying to understand the gospel without having the Spirit of Christ.

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God for they are foolishness unto him neither can he know them because they are spiritually discerned"

11:57 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Puritan

I think that you're pressing the quote for information that goes beyond its scope.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Correy said...

Fair call,

This one is quite a good quote. When we have the Holy Spirit we are leaps and bounds above one who does not.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home