Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

What Defines Us?

Tom Wright made this amazing statement,

"The place of doctrine within Christianity is absolutely vital. Christians are not defined by skin color, by gender, by geographical location, or even, shockingly, by their behavior. Nor are they defined by the particular feelings they may have. They are defined in terms of the God they worship. That's why we say the Creed at the heart of our regular liturgies: we are defined as the people who believe in this God. All other definitions of the church are open to distortion. We need theology, we need doctrine because if we don't have it something else will come in and take its place. And any other defining marks of the church will move us in the direction of idolatry."


As you may well know, Wright is highly-respected in the emerging church movement. The question is, "Does he fit the bill?"

4 Comments:

Blogger Correy said...

This quote left me wanting. Which God are we worshiping? Which God is "this God"?

A quote like this is only fulfilled when it magnifies Jesus. I am looking for nothing else.

God talk at the end of the day without the focus on Jesus is God-less talk.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm not sure I understand that criticism. If I am reading Dr. Wright correctly, then it seems clear that he is saying that we MUST have Doctrine and that it must be spelled out. Doctrine then, would be the defining and answering of questions like "Which God?" etc.
Granted, the doctrine is not present in this paragraph, but that is not the purpose of the statement.

In Christ alone,
mike

P.S. I do not think Wrigh is properly "Emerging" although at times I can understand why they would be sympathetic to him and visa versa.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Puritan,

I also disagree with your criticism. I don't think that it fits. It's a quote about Christ-ianity. So in my mind it is clear what Wright's saying.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Correy said...

I have often listen to sermons that don't mention Jesus once. They are God-less sermons.

This quote has said nothing. It built up to this statement "We believe in this God" Which God? What definition has he given of the church? I don't recognise the church he is talking about? The church of course isn't recognised by feeling etc or even their behavior they are recognised by their testimony to Jesus as their Lord as their God as their Head.

Jesus is our doctrine Jesus is our theology however this was never mentioned even though he stated that everything else is open to distortion.

Plenty of people have doctrine and theology however it is nothing when it is outside of Jesus.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home