Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Tension

The more that I study the Bible, the more that I realize that it's a difficult book to understand. Everyone of us is full of prejudices and preconceived ideas that influence our ability to interpret the Bible. Our world is in many ways so much different than the world of the Biblical authors. I live in a different culture and on a different continent than these men. And I also have 2,000 years of history to wrestle with when I approach the text.

However, unlike some skeptical postmoderns of late, I'm confident that we can understand Scripture although it may be difficult. That's why it's important for us to dialogue with others that hold different opinions. Since Bible school, my own understanding of theology has faced several different modifications. I thank God for the different teachers in my life. One of my mentors, Rich Peterson, has encouraged me to study hermeuntics and draw my theology from that study. That has been challenging. Some of my studies has pointed me in different directions than my Baptist tradition. There's a lot of subjects that I'm not super sure what I think, but I'm confident that the answer is in Scripture.

The more that I study, the more I realize the importance of interpreting Scripture in the context of a community. The church is the temple of God's Spirit, and so it's crucial that I rely on other believers for help in understanding Scripture. Some of my own biases are often eroded away as my ideas are tested by the community that Christ calls His church. Thanks, guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home