Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Hmm...Romans 13 and Underage Drinking

Today after Sunday school, some high school students and I had a good conversation about alcohol. Not very surprisingly, a couple of them thought that underage drinking wasn't a bit wrong. In fact, they felt that as long as they drink responsibly that it was ok. Apparently they seemed to overlook the fact that most teenagers normally don't know how to drink responsibly. Whose ever heard of a bunch of teenagers getting together to drink in moderation? Isn't the whole point of most parties just to get drunk and wasted?

I tried getting them to look at Romans 13 and God's call for us to obey the authority structures that He's given us. Of course, that argument doesn't work for folks that have grown accustomed to breaking the law by stealing multimedia off the internet. I just don't know. How do you address such an issue when kids don't have respect for God-given authority in the first place?

1 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

Scot,

Thanks for your thoughts and for visiting my blog. How long were you a youth pastor and in what part of the country?

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home