Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Movies

So other night some H.S. senior guys and I watched this movie called What the Bleep Do We Know!? Kalen has been telling me about it for some time. It's part story, part documentary, part religion. It supposedly based on quantum physics, but Kalen and Lane, who already know far more about that sort of stuff than I'll ever know, told me that most of the "scientists" on this film aren't really even authorities on the subject.

The main idea of the film was that we really don't know anything and we can't be certain about anything. You know, it's basically David Hume. Since life doesn't have any grand purpose, life is what you make of it. Create your reality. Be your boss.

The real funny part came when the "spiritual advisor" JZ Knight was bestowing wisdom. Knight claims that she's channeling some ancient warrior by the name of Ramtha. Knight tells us that "god" is infinity and "god" is so great and wonderful that us tiny little beings could never sin against "god." Why would "god" care about our moral actions? After all, we're just the combination of random quantum particles in a random infinity. She reached her conclusion by saying that each of us is our own god. "You're a god. I'm a god." Hurrah, we can all be happy. There's no such thing as right or wrong. There's no real God to hold us accountable.

It's all so foolish. As Psalms 14:1 says, "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no god.'"

5 Comments:

Blogger wellis68 said...

so do you think there are things we can be certain of? My underestanding of certainty is it is whatever cannot be doubted. A good guy by the name of Rene Descarte found there to be one statement of all that could not be doubted by him, "I think, therefore I am." Descart pulled from this discovery "proof" that there is a God. "proof?"... I doubt it...

10:56 AM  
Blogger wellis68 said...

This is a faith, a claim of certainty might be the real foolishness. God exsists... That statement holds truth value but to be sweyed into accepting it cannot happen without faith, faith and perception added together make up th capacity to see things as they really are; knowledge. I know God exsists... this statement, if meant by the person saying it, is compoud of faith and perception. I know there's a God, denial of that would be foolishness because of what I have percieved. The talk of certainty is an endless conversation which ammounts to the same value as silence.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Wes, thanks for checking out my blog. Good thoughts.

Are you familiar with Alvin Plantinga? He's a philosophy prof. at Notre Dame, a Protestant by the way (kinda ironic). Plantinga has formulated a idea called "reformed epistemology." If you study his work, you'll have a better idea when I'm coming from.

I believe that the belief in God's existence is properly basic. That is that it's a belief that needs no argument in order to be rationally held. For instance, how do we know that our past history really existed? Perhaps the world was just created five minutes ago, and our memories never happened? Or how do we know that other people aren't just cleverly disguised robots? The answers to these kinds of questions can't be known by deductive logic (i.e. Descartes) or by inductive sense experience (Locke). Yet we do know the answers to these questions intuitively.

Plantinga teaches that God has placed within everyone a cognitive facility that knows that God exists. John Calvin called it "sensus divinitatis." In my estimation, this fits pretty well with Romans 1:18-20. Does that make sense?

2:03 PM  
Blogger wellis68 said...

yeah, that makes sense. I'm interested in Plantinga's work. Is there something in peticular I should read of his to better understand?

3:34 PM  
Blogger wellis68 said...

I'm gonna use that joke, i'm still laughing.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home