Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Monday, April 11, 2005

Atheism?

The other night I was invited to a bbq by my atheist professor friend named Dean here at Chadron State. During the dinner, I came to a quite funny realization: have you ever notice how much atheists like to talk about God? Dean was joking around about the vulgarities in a certain South Park epistle. I guess that this epistle was poking fun at Christian rock music in a very sacrilegious manner. Then Dean shocked me by saying, "Now I'm an atheist, but I know that those guys are so going to hell." He cracked us all up. But in the midst of the laughter, I had a sneaking suspicion that deep down even Dean knows that there's God.

Check out some of these quotes that I found in this book by Paul Copan that I've been reading. It's called "That's Just Your Interpretation."

Aldous Huxley writes, "I had motives for not wanting the world to have meaning, consequently assumed that it had none, and was able without any difficulty to find satisfying reasons for this assumption....For myself, as, no doubt, for most contemporaries, the philosophy of meaninglessness was essentially an instrument of liberation. The liberation we desired was simultaneously liberation from a certain political and economic system and liberation from a certain system of morality. We objected to the morality because it interfered with our sexual freedom."

Then Thomas Nagel says, "I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear [of religion] myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn't just that I don't believe in God and, naturally, hope that I'm right in my belief. It's that I hope there is no God! I don't want there to be a God; I don't want want the universe to be like that."

And physicist Freeman Dyson writes, "As we look out into the Universe and identify the many accidents of physics and astronomy that have worked together for our benefit, it almost seems as if the Universe must in some sense have known that we were coming."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home