Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Preaching

So this week Dan Williams, our senior pastor here at CBC, is on vacation for a couple of weeks. So this Sunday I'm preaching. I normally have an idea for a sermon some time in advance, but this time I've really struggled with bringing my thoughts together. I've wanted to talk about building a Biblical epistemology, but just can't piece it together. Besides that, I think that most folks would be bored out of their minds the instant I mention the word "epistemology." So I'm bringing things down to the popular level in hopes of creating a broader interest. Here's what I got so far.

The central question in epistemology (by the way, I'm not going to use that word) is "How can we know what's true?" Is a knowledge of the truth possible? What tools should we use to discover the truth? As Christians committed to the Bible as God's Word, what does the Bible tell us about knowing the truth?

1. As humans, our knowledge of the truth is always limited.

Throughout the Bible, we can continually observe that our knowledge is confined by several different factors. First and foremost, our knowledge is limited by our own sinfulness. As Jeremiah 17:9 says, "The heart is deceitful and desperately wicked, who can know it." We have so many preconceived ideas, biases, and subconscious desires (all of which are corrupted by sin) that we could never be completely objective in discerning the truth. This means that we could never be scientists in white lab coats when comes to examine the evidence for God or Christianity. We have vested interests. We want to be our own bosses. I don't necessarily want God to be the ruler of my life. As Romans 8:7-8 says, "For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will. That's why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God."

Secondly, our knowledge is limited by our own "creatureness." We never have the complete picture. When we do know God's absolute truth, we never know absolutely. That is, we never know fully. The scope of our knowledge is always within the boundaries of our humanness. As Romans 11:33-34 says, "Oh, what a wonderful God we have! How great are his riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his methods! For who can know what the Lord is thinking? Who knows enough to be his counselor?"

2. Our knowledge of the truth is ultimately a gift from God.

Because of the limits to our knowledge, we are in constant need of a touch of God's grace when it comes to knowing things. Our minds have been so corrupted by sin and deceit that in order to function correctly we need God to do some retooling. Romans 12:2, one of the first verses that I ever memorized, says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." It's a relief that here Paul gives us some hope of actually knowing the truth. But we must remember this starts as God renews our minds--transforming us inside out.

Proverbs 2:6 reminds us, "For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." Remembering this will keep us from the arrogance that often comes with human knowledge. As Paul warns us in 1 Cor. 8, "Knowledge puffs up!" Viewing our knowledge as a grace from God will begin a transformation when it comes to pride. I have knowledge not because I'm so smart and intelligent, but because God has graciously worked in my life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good, Daniel -- go ahead and say the word (you might wnat to wait till the end though)

7:02 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Hey Lane, thanks!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home