Daniel's thoughts

Hebrews 6:19. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Junta, CO, United States

I am originally from Western Nebraska. My beautiful wife’s name is Shelley. We have two kids. Our daughter’s name is Mae. Our son is Noah. I am a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and Wheaton Grad School. I blog on Biblical theology and exegesis. I’m a youth pastor in Eastern Colorado.

Monday, May 16, 2005

In Ohio

So I've been on vacation for the last couple of weeks. It's been fun. My parents were with us in Chicago. Wow! That was scary, and funny at the same time. Small town Nebraska folks in the big city. They were freaked out. Like usual, my dad said over and over again that he didn't like all this traffic. "Why would you need to be around all those people?"

While riding in the car, I've been reading The Only Wise God by William Lane Craig. It's a great book dealing with God's foreknowledge and human responsibility. In his argument, Craig attempts to refute theological fatalism. Fatalism teaches that since God knows the future, then all of our "choices" are determined, fixed in such a way that we couldn't have choosen otherwise. In my college philosophy class, we spent a lot of time working of Nelson Pike's famous argument for theological fatalism. When studying Pike's argument, I know that something seemed wrong with it, but I couldn't place my finger on exactly what was the problem. Of course, if Pike is correct, then this argument does severe damage to human responsibility. God would be the author of sin and evil. This flatly contradicts the Bible. So Craig's book has so far been a delightful read. He's a primarily a philosopher and not an exegete so he doesn't spend much time debating the exegetical works of Calvinist scholars like D.A. Carson and Thomas Schreiner. That's one thing that could be better. As I read the book, I'll probably post some more on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home